As you begin to transition to Civilian life, it can be a complex and challenging process.
It takes time to learn how to understand, adjust and successfully navigate your way into what can initially feel like a new operational area with no internal map to guide you. Here are a few self-reflective steps that may guide you forward in this process to transition to Civilian life:
What is your WILL to change?
- How serious are you about wanting to create change needed to transition to Civilian life?
- What can you identify inside yourself that could impact on you progressing forward?
- What are the external factors that could impact on you progressing forward?
- In what way is your goal aligned with your values?
- What are the costs (to yourself and others around you) in creating this change?
- What are you willing to do to deal with the costs and how would this look?
- What are you currently tolerating that requires changing in order for you to progress forward?
What is your ability like to ADJUST and ADAPT?
- What are the factors, challenges and situations that you may need to adjust and adapt to?
- What are your strengths and habits that you can draw on from where you currently are and who you are?
- In what ways could these impact on you?
- What would you need to put in place to ensure effective adaptation?
- What would be the first three challenges facing you?
- What would you do as the first step in progressing towards and meeting your goal?
- How do you plan on sustaining a positive and constructive forward momentum?
- How do you cope when frustrated or angry with others and situations?
- What would you need to work on that could impact negatively on your transition to Civilian life?
What is your RESPECT like for others and yourself?
- Identify your core strengths?
- What could impact on you adjusting to civilian mindsets both personally and professionally?
- What may your challenges be in adapting to others who do not hold the same or conflicting values?
- List qualities you value in Civilians?
- List qualities that frustrate you with Civilians?
- What do you feel you would be losing in your transition from Warrior to Civilian?
- Why would you be losing these?
- In what ways could you reclaim this?
What is your RESPONSIBILITY to yourself like?
- What can you identify that will support you to self-care and effectively pace yourself in order to transition to Civilian life?
- What are you currently tending to neglect with regard to self-care and well-being?
- What can you put in place to resolve this?
What is your INTEGRITY like?
- What are your core values and habits?
- What are the core values and habits that you expect from others?
- What are you currently not respecting about yourself right now?
- How do you cope with those that hold values that conflict with yours?
- What do you need to identify within yourself and learn from to adjust your behaviours towards others and transition to Civilian life?
How OBSERVANT rather than reactive are you?
- How do you react to situations that do not meet your expectations?
- How do you react to others that do not meet your expectations?
- What do you need to identify in order to manage these situations and others more effectively?
Are you willing to attempt to REPAIR negative relationships with others and yourself?
- In your transition to Civilian life, what are possible factors that could trigger you?
- How have you reacted in the past when in similar territory?
- What will be challenging for you to adjust and adapt to?
- What do you feel you can manage yourself?
- What might you require support and mentoring for?
- Who can you identify that can support you with this?
You can read an introduction to my book on my blog by clicking here.
Click here to download a FREE copy of my book today.